Guide Dog Mobility Instructor (Cadetship)
About The Role
Grow your passion and build your career with Guide Dogs Singapore Ltd (GDS). We are the only social service agency that trains and provides guide dogs to people with vision impairment. We are recruiting and training our next Guide Dog Mobility Instructor to grow our Guide Dogs Programme.
The cadetship (training) which takes about 3 years will be carried out in Singapore and Australia. You will be required to start the full-time cadetship in Singapore in October 2022, and move to Australia from March 2023 where you will continue the cadetship. You will receive full support and training as you progress through the cadetship program with us and our partnering organisation in Australia. This includes learning about the common eye conditions, training dogs according to International Guide Dog Federation Standards, matching dogs with clients, training of clients and their paired dogs, and completing the basic Orientation and Mobility course.
You will be offered full time employment with GDS and also start your 5-year bond following the successful completion of the cadetship. As a Guide Dog Mobility Instructor at GDS, you will assume a major role in advocacy, and empowering vision impaired people with independence through the use of guide dogs.
Applicants must be Singapore citizens, fully vaccinated and hold a Class 3 or 3A licence.
Please include a cover letter to support your application. Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews. Closing date: 10 June 2022.
- At least 3 years of working experience
- Good communication, planning and organisational skills
- Experience in teaching, counselling, or any social service work is a bonus but not essential
- Able to work independently and with a multi-disciplinary team
- Able to connect and coach people of various ages and backgrounds
- Physically fit and can walk at least 15 km a day
- Comfortable with and able to handle dogs that are between 25 to 40 kg
- Adaptable and a critical thinker
Preferred achievements / characteristics:
- Diploma and above
- Hardworking, team player, a person-centred individual with empathy and integrity
- Enjoy working outdoors